Elder abuse is the emotional, physical, financial, sexual mistreatment or neglect of our elders. Bruises, unexplained weight loss, or scratches are tale tell signs of physical abuse. However, malnutrition, side effects of excessive medication, dehydration and isolation are more subtle forms of elder abuse.
Financial elder abuse in the form of “wrongful takings” of money or other property can result in double damages pursuant to California Probate Code §859. The “wrongful taking” of $100,000 can result in the return of the $100,000 plus $200,000 more. Also, at the court’s discretion, reasonable attorney’s fees and costs can be imposed on the abuser pursuant to California Welfare and Institutions Code §15657.5.
As a policy matter, we at Gorman & Miller are steadfast in our fight against elder abuse.
· City of Los Angeles Department of Aging and Information and Assistance: 213-482-7252
· County of Los Angeles Area Agency on Aging: 800-510-2020
· Department of Community and Senior Services: www.css.lacounty.gov 213-738-4004
· Los Angeles County Information and Referral, dial: 211 www.infoline-la.org
· City of Los Angeles Information and Referral, dial: 311 or visit www.lacity.org/311-services
· WISE & Healthy Aging Information & Referral for senior services: 310-394-9871
· Bet Tzedek Legal Services: www.bettzedek.org 323-939-0506
· California State Attorney General: www.ag.ca.gov 800-952-5225
· Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles: www.lafla.org 800-399-4529
· Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office Elder Abuse Hotline: 877-477-3646
· Los Angeles County Bar Association Lawyer Referral & Information Smart Law
· Los Angeles County District Attorney Elder Abuse Section: 213-257-2290
· Los Angeles County Public Administrator – Public Guardian: 213-974-0515
· CANHR State Bar Certified Lawyer Referral Service: 800-474-1116