KIRK M. HALLAM
Kirk M. Hallam has been a highly successful litigation attorney for over thirty years, specializing in trademark, copyright, patent, securities fraud, data theft, rights of publicity, real property disputes, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract. Kirk received his law degree from the Harvard Law School in 1981 and his Bachelor of Arts (Summa Cum Laude) from the University of California at Los Angeles in 1978. After graduation from law school, Kirk clerked for United States District Court Judge Judith Keep,then became an associate and partner in the Beverly Hills law firm of Rosenfeld, Meyer & Susman (1983-98), representing clients such as Universal Studios, Nike, Phil Knight, Lisa Frank, film producers Alan Ladd, Lee Rich and Sean Hepburn Ferrer, the Audrey Hepburn Estate, Beach Boy Brian Wilson, music producer Alan Douglas, actress Nicolette Sheridan, Jimi Hendrix Music Publishing Co, and Bella Godiva.
In 1998, Kirk left the full-time practice to pursue business opportunities with clients and friends in the entertainment field, while also continuing to handle select litigation matters. Since returning to the full-time practice in 2008, Kirk has prevailed by trial or motion in ten consecutive trademark, copyright, patent and computer fraud and data theft cases, matters involving issues such as copyrights in a Jimi Hendrix documentary, trademarks in the Rin Tin Tin television and film franchise, copyrights in the Superman Shield, patent rights in children’s toys, nontoxic pesticides and organic energy drinks, and film franchise, copyrights in the Superman Shield, patent rights in children’s toys, nontoxic pesticides and organic energy drinks.
Over the past 25 years, Kirk’s life outside the legal profession has involved wide-ranging activities such as serving on the Board of the Audrey Hepburn Children’s Fund, producing films and miniseries (Finding Rin Tin Tin, Local Color, Cloudstreet), playing tennis/golf, and enjoying life with his wife, kids, dogs and cat.
- Cal Agri v. Steckler (2017): Won trial and appeal, $5 million judgment and patents to organic pesticides.
- DC Comics v. Mad Engine, Inc. (2016): Obtained dismissal of copyright claims re Superman Shield.
- Kleven v. Hereford (2015): Won court trial, trademark rights to Rin Tin Tin television and film franchise.
- Good v Harper (2013): Won trial, $671,000 judgment in data theft case, reimbursement of fees and costs.
- Douglas v. Experience Hendrix (2012): Won Seattle Federal Court trial, judgment awarding client all copyrights in Jimi Hendrix documentary film, and reimbursement of all attorney fees and costs.
- Brown v. Lisa Frank, Inc. (2011): Won patent rights in children’s toy oven, aff’d by Ariz. Supreme Court.
- Sean Hepburn Ferrer v. Carol Publishing Co., 69 F. Supp. 2d 495 (SDNY): Obtained substantial monetary settlement and injunction for family of Audrey Hepburn in trademark and false endorsement case.
- Dove Audio v. RMS, 47 Cal. App. 4th 777: Prevailed on Anti-Slap Motion, aff’d on appeal, obtaining reimbursement of all fees and costs in defamation action involving Family and Estate of Audrey Hepburn.
- Experience Hendrix v. Alan Douglas: Defeated motion for preliminary injunction for Jimi Hendrix music producer Alan Douglas in case involving ownership of all Jimi Hendrix music rights and rights of publicity.
- Lee Rich v. Kirk Kerkorian: Obtained substantial financial settlement for outgoing studio president.
- Alan Ladd v. MGM/UA: Obtained film rights and financial settlement for outgoing studio president.
- Carl Lewis v. Nike: Obtained dismissal of suit against Nike for alleged breach of endorsement contract.
- Levin v. Knight: Won trial (second chair) representing Nike founder in case re Clippers basketball team.
- Paul Newman v. Universal Studios, et al: Conceived and drafted successful motion to dismiss antitrust claims against all major studios recalculation of profit participation in home entertainment revenue.
Santa Monica Office